Oct 2013 – May 2015
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The project Urbanets (Sustainable Management of Urban Networks) is part of the EU programme INTERREG Italy-Greece and realized in cooperation with the towns of Gallipoli, Brindisi and Igoumenitsa. The aim of the project is to ensure new ways of urban planning, urban traffic, but also environmental planning and disaster management.
The objectives of the project, therefore, aim to improve the quality of life of the municipalities involved, with a greater rationalization of vehicular traffic, studying the strengths and problems also to ensure responses to environmental pollution and strengthening cross-border cooperation. The implementation of an advanced urban management system will provide several benefits. The objectives consist of the following:
- Creation of an interlinked urban traffic planning system in the three participating cities of the project.
- Development of an information database that will provide valuable feedback to the traffic authorities.
- Promotion of cross-border cooperation between Italy and Greece in the field of traffic management and urban planning.
- Exchange of best practices in traffic and pollution management on an intraregional and international level.
- Improvement of the quality of life for the residents and visitors of the three cities.
- Improvement of SMEs productivity by providing solutions to problems arising from traffic delays.